Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Mathematical Experiences

Math is the study of numbers and their relations to each other. Math is a way of describing the happenings in the world around us. Through a study of mathematics we learn about the wonders of the world.
The best way for me to learn math is hands on experience. I need to work out a couple problems and I usually understand the concepts behind the problem. Math has always come naturally to me. It is almost a second language of sorts that I speak. I do not know yet how my students will best learn mathematics. Every person learns differently; therefore, I must taper my teaching style to the class and the students that I have. I will try to teach the general concept instead of how to do a specific problem so my students will be able to do any problem I give them.
In math classrooms students are encouraged to explore the world of mathematics with their peers. Working with others is a great way to learn and grow. Also, teachers that I have had make an effort to find new, creative ways of teaching an idea that will help the students remember the concept. One thing I find detrimental to mathematics learning is the list of standards that are necessary for students to memorize in order to pass the test at the end of the year. In doing this, students focus on scoring the highest possible on the STAR tests instead of actually learning the principles.

5 comments:

  1. By "hands on experience" do you mean working out the problems yourself with a pencil and paper or more so model representations?
    Everyone does learn differently. It's important to remember that even within the same class students will learn and understand things differently. As teachers, we need to build an environment where everyone can learn from each other.
    I really like your idea of teaching concepts so students will be able to do any problem you give them.
    I really like the perspective of learning and exploring through math, not just doing well on a test. I think teachers can pass this love of learning on to their students.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice. I really enjoyed reading this! I am a firm believer in working in groups in math. In general I am not a huge fan of group projects and things. I have been able to teach myself so much and learn things that I didn't expect to learn from my peers in every math class I have been in. I also agree that there is quite a bit of emphasis, and maybe an inappropriate amount of emphasis on standardized tests and doing well on them. Although I don't think they are perfect system, I wonder what could replace them to ensure that students in a geometry class in Provo are learning the same concepts as students in say Seattle. Just something I have thought about, what system could we create that is any better or more effective than what we have? I'm not sure right now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with your point on how huge tests don't always promote the best kind of learning. It promotes quick memorization, but not a long lasting storage space in the mind. A strong emphasis on learning the concepts as the course goes along is possibly a better method.

    I was interested in your comment on how you will teach the general concept instead of show examples. To me, however, I think it is quite crucial to consider both in a lesson plan. Sometimes when instructors teach a concept, it does not click in the minds of the students until they see the concept in action - through an example.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you on the fact that the best way to learn is in groups with hands on activities. Teachers that make mathematics more fun by being creative and different are always more likely to keep the attention of their students and influence them to think math is fun.

    One of the most challenging parts about the way math teaching is structured is the absence of explaining how math can be used and why it's important to learn and understand otherwise students only care to memorize the necessary materials just to get a good grade.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Math is definitely something I learn best from hands on experience and going through a problem step by step is also very helpful to me.

    Though I don't really understand your teaching method as described above. It sounds more like a one-on-one teaching experience with no class teaching to me because I can't imagine a class where the teacher is trying so hard to accommodate for each student's learning curve and not on the body as a whole. But that's just what I thought from it.

    ReplyDelete